5.17.2016

My Favorite Four Months


"PerPlexed" by Zanza Steinberg | Photo by Sandy Shelton

I just finished the incredible Professional Semester at Broadway Dance Center, a program designed to introduce dancers to the industry and professionalism behind the biz. For the last four months I have been training with renowned working artists, attending master classes in all styles of dance, and taking part in mock auditions in front of various titans of industry: casting agents and choreographers alike. I have formed lifelong friendships with stunning and bright dancers and have connected with artists I have only dreamed of working with. This program taught me to be a confident and capable dancer ready for anything New York City has to throw at me.

During the program we rehearsed for our culminating showcase. Each of us chose and auditioned for the pieces we wanted to be cast in. Rehearsals were conducted with the utmost professionalism; we were encouraged to behave as if we were being paid $2000 to be there, which is the average weekly salary of a Broadway performer. Along with the 12 mandatory technique classes per week, the additional master classes and seminars, the mock auditions, and the rehearsals, I worked over 30 hours a week at a part-time job (hence the reason my poor blog was all but abandoned). Looking back, I'm not sure how I survived some weeks, but when you have a dream and a purpose, you do whatever it takes to get yourself there. It wasn't easy, and at times it wasn't fun, but I can officially cross "starving artist lifestyle" off of my bucket list (hopefully for good).

Our final mock audition, led by Rachelle Rak 

Entering the program, my goal was to become self-sufficient in a new environment. Broadway Dance Center absolutely gave me the tools and experience to do that. The choice to audition for the Professional Semester was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I am grateful for every second, for every person, and for every step along the way.

The next step is to finally begin life as a professional. I have been a student for the last five years and I am excited to see what comes next. This summer I am auditioning for the Rockettes, attending my first Invitational Week of the Rockette Summer Intensive, and signing a lease on my first New York apartment. This has been a dream long in the making, and I feel so grateful to be living this adventure. On to the next journey!

My forever family, the #prosemnation cast of Spring 2016

1 comment:

  1. Nice post-Wow, signing a lease-huge step- good luck this summer

    ReplyDelete